Your entry is the first thing people see when arriving at your home and the last thing they remember when leaving. Is your entry simple with clean lines and minimal plantings? Is your entry bold and bright with color and texture? No matter what you decide, put your personality into it and create the most welcoming environment possible.
Front yard designs can provide not only curb appeal, but the first impression of your home and your personality. When we are creating new or remodeled landscape designs for clients, many thoughts come to mind.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR DRIVEWAY?
- Can we spice it up with something more than asphalt, road base or concrete? Put some personality and creativity into your driveway to enhance your curb appeal. Things to examine for your driveway:
- The shape and style: Do you want to include a courtyard, a curved or a straight driveway?
- Design elements such as parking, turnaround and plantings.
- The perfect materials for your home and property. We prefer to use pavers or even a combination of pavers enhanced with thyme or grass.
Consider the moment someone steps foot on your property and makes their way to your home. This is truly the first moment, the first impression, make it count!
DOES YOUR WALKWAY LEAD YOU TO WHERE YOU WANT TO GO?
- There are so many options when it comes to the walkway to your front door. Lead your guests from the street or the driveway to the front door using a landsape design encouraging a welcoming environment. Be it a less formal meandering, organic path or a more formal straight variety, the options are endless. A few tips for the most welcoming walkway on the block.
- Bigger is better with your walkways. A wide walkway with a large landing is especially important when considering your design. It is more comfortable and safer to walk on and provides adequate space when entering or leaving a home.
- Incorporate your personality and be creative! There are many materials to choose from including pavers, flagstone, concrete, cut stone, brick, and more. Add dramatic elements by choosing the right material and color as well as the plantings.
- Provide the proper focal points and lighting so that your guests know where to go and can arrive there safely. Determine the main entry for everyday use, punctuate it and create a functional and interesting space.
ARE YOU LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A FRONT PORCH OR PATIO?
- If so, enjoy that extension of style from both the direction of your home as well as from your gardens. Harmonize that threshold by creating an inviting place to step on to. What are the benefits of having a front porch or patio?
- Porches make a great first impression of your home.
- Porches allow for an extension of your home and an excellent place to gather with family and friends.
- Porches and covered patios provide shelter and protection from a rainy or snowy day. They may even encourage you to sit outside on that rainy day while being protected from the elements.
Front porches and patios add timeless curb appeal and a gracious transition into your home. We love adding container plants and sitting areas, basically any way we can extend the living space to the outdoors, we go for it!
AND FOR ALISON’S FAVORITE PART…THE PLANTS!
- As a horticulturist, I always consider the combination of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals in your front garden and how they can be designed in just the right way to provide that first impression you want. Once you haved picked your favorite plants that offer season long color or even a calming monochramtic look with a variety of texture, the landscape design process can begin!
- Establish a focal point in the garden between the street and the house. By using various textures and colors of plants you can create inviting vignettes.
- Down to Earth always plants with seasons in mind. We emphasize season long color when selecting the plants for your landscape design.
- Plan the landscape to be enjoyed from a variety of angles including looking out your front windows and doors as well as from the street.
- Plant with layers by using a combination of annuals, perennials, shrubs, ornamental grasses, and trees.
Want us to help you?
Down to Earth Gardening and Landscaping, Inc. can design and install the perfect front entry for you. From your first consultation to the last plant in the ground, Down to Earth is dedicated to designing and installing an amazing entryway tailored to your needs.